Thursday, December 07, 2006

WRITING STUFF:

DEADLINES


Well, it's getting near mid-December and I have a deadline looming for flash stories for Jim Stitzel's 100 Voices in the Night anthology. My 5 stories must be ready to go by next month. I would be screaming terrified if I did not already have four of them written, and three of the four please me. I just need to write at least one more (two, I'll write two just to be safe, just so I know at least one of the two will look good even after the initial 'beautiful baby' time) by January.

Which brings me to deadlines. Do you write better with or without one? I think I write better without one, but I certainly write more with one. Although my deadlines are often self-imposed, anthologies are merciless, and editors will drop you if you don't meet the deadline with a suitable product. Ouch!

I write mostly fiction – for non-fiction, deadlines are usually even more important.

Here's my take on deadlines: always honor your commitments. Give yourself plenty of time and try to do as much as you can before the time gets short. I know this is easy to say, but whether it's your writing, your day job, your family or any other promise, know your limitations before you commit. Then honor your promise like a pro.


TODAY'S AMAZING THING

Water on Mars! Holy cow, folks! I remember working on the Viking Project back when I was at CalTech and the first pictures came through of the Red Planet. Now there's news of researchers in San Diego (planetary geologists Michael Malin and Kenneth Edgett of Malin Space Science Systems Inc) who have painstakingly viewed photos of particular areas on Mars taken several years apart and determined the changes observed may mean water.
Here's the link Mind boggling! Time to start writing about the Red (and possibly Blue) Planet…


MARS - photo from a Viking Lander



THREE BEAUTIFUL THINGS

Gingerbread latte at Starbucks – kinda rich for me and only available this time of year. I had my second – and probably last for this year – one this morning. Very spicy-good and tasting of the Winter Solstice (which comes this year on December 22).

Pedicures! The DH and I had pedicures last night! It was heaven – I love the massage part the most.

Candy cane cake recipes – I have seen two this year, and am determined to try to make one. I'll post a good recipe if I find one I like
.






6 comments:

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

Writing under Duress -- My boyfriend is currently reading the chapters of Mother Mayhem (25 days and counting until deadline)I am cranking out and he claims I write better under pressure. Maybe that's true. When under a pressing deadline I aim for final draft quality the first time around instead of meandering with the thought of cleaning it up later. But the stress level is a killer!

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

The gingerbread lattes are grand, but the pumpkin spice lattes are heavenly!

Bernita said...

All I know is that I can meet deadlines.
Quality is not my call.

Kate Thornton said...

Sue Ann - your deadline is almost over, you lucky girl! Let me know when it's finished & I will take you to lunch.

The pumpkin spice lattes are too spicy for me.

Bernita, you make me smile - your writing is of such excellent quality!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your deadlines! I've been over at EE, getting acquainted with the craziness of the query letters and Miss Pettipants, etc. Very fun.

Also -- I went to my library in the hopes of getting LAndmarked for Murder, but they don't have it. I'll go back Tuesday when it's less crowded and see if they can order it.

Kate Thornton said...

SonnjeaB, thank you for wanting the book!