Monday, March 14, 2011

IT DOESN"T TAKE A GENIUS - No, really!

I started this blog years ago when my short story of the eponymous title was first published in the Sisters in Crime anthology, LAndmarked For Murder. I meant it to be for writers and writing and later for artists as I was painting also.


But mostly I meant it to be an entertaining romp. However, when I was putting together my book, I had to back-burner the blog. Then, when the book was released, I was inundated with all the stuff that goes with a new book, stuff I guess I didn't realize would be so pleasurably time consuming.




But It Doesn't Take a Genius was, and remains, one of my favorite stories. You all know I like revenge stories, empowered women stories and twist endings that leave you grinning. I love it that all those elements are in this story.


When my collection, INHUMAN CONDITION, came out last year, It Doesn't Take a Genius was meant to be the anchor story. But the publisher did not like the language (it's not for kids) or the subject matter (uh, it's not for kids) and kicked up such a fuss that I pulled the story from the collection.


I regretted it.  The book is a very good and representative collection of my work, but I wanted this story included. Oh, well.


All I needed to do was wait for Technology to catch up to my wishes.


IT DOESN'T TAKE A GENIUS - the short story - is now available through Amazon.com in Kindle format for only 99 cents. (You may also download it in readable form for your computer if you don't have a Kindle.) 


And I really like the cover - that graphic design genius, Jerry Lerma, designed it for me.


As for what now - well, I have gone back to working on The Novel (boy, it that slow going!) and a space opera that's a sort of continuation of my loose series from several years ago. I don't paint any more, because I don't have the time or space. 


I guess in a finite lifetime, we have to make choices about the best uses of our rationed time. Too bad you can't see this little truth when you are young. Sigh.


But it's beautiful here right now. Yesterday I was the reader at Sisters in Crime Los Angeles and even sold a few books. The featured speaker was a writer and story editor from Law & Order: SVU, Ken Storer. He was great! I love being tossed in with the Big Time folks, but that's what a great group like Sisters in Crime can do.


Drop me a line - I haven't heard from some of you in a very long time...
And be careful out there.

No comments: